Most recent letter from Helen Alvare. If you live in or near the DC area this is especially important for you to read!
Women Speak for Themselves has obtained a permit to occupy the famous Lafayette Park, August 1 (yes, in three weeks…), in order to speak out against the HHS Mandate imposing contraception and early abortion insurance upon religious institutions and individuals.
I know the deadline for the mandate has been extended to January 1, 2014. But it’s Summertime, and many of us have the flexibility to spend a day (the former deadline day) here in DC at a brief (one hour) rally, from11:30-12:30 pm.
We will do several things:
1. Carry signs and hear a series of brief (2 minute) speeches against the Mandate. I assume these will have two themes, corresponding to the different women we have in our group: a) that women care for religious freedom…its loss will have real consequences for us! And b) that many women are uncomfortable or worse with government pushing the simplistic and often harmful agenda that contraception is the pinnacle of women’s freedom and equality.
2. TELL THE PRESS IN ADVANCE TO COME SEE THAT MANY WOMEN CONTEST THE CLAIM OF SOME WOMEN (Rep. Pelosi, Secretary Sebelius) TO SPEAK FOR ALL WOMEN.
3. Speak to any members of the public/DC tourists who walk by and give them our letter.
4. Walk a contingent over to HHS and/or V.P. Biden’s (America’s most highly placed Catholic!!) office (I’m trying to secure appointments with both offices), and deliver our nearly 41,000 signatures.
So usually I am asking you to do LOCAL stuff. This time, I want you to come to D.C. if you can.
I only need about 150-200 women, because that’s what I told the Park Service.
But I REALLY need you!
I also need:
1. Hand-made signs (We will have some printed in advance,…but we need more). Nothing on sticks; it’s forbidden. I will send suggested messages if you want to use them, later in July.
3. I need about 15 women to give two-minute testimonies re either topic pertaining to the mandate. Email me if you would like to. I would need to see them in advance please!
5. Women ready to chat with any reporters in advance or during.
6. Five women who will “marshall,” i.e. help keep crowd orderly and know what to do in case of quick evacuation.
I’m trying to keep this “simple” but effective, intelligent, FEMALE and press-worthy.
Will you help?